Wednesday 6 February 2008

Crock pot Peking Duck

I got a crock pot last month as one of my birthday presents. It's brilliant for slow cooking, because you don't really need to do much with the ingredients, just put them all in and switch it on, that's it. You can forget about it until almost time to eat the dish.















I bought some duck breasts yesterday because I wanted to try Kylie Kwong's recipe for Peking Duck. To cook this dish you need to simmer the marinade for several hours and then cook the meat in the marinade for another few hours, so I thought I would just use my crock pot and then forget about it and go off to do my grocery shopping.

Duck breasts
Garlic
Ginger
Star anise
Cinnamon bark
Orange peel
Spring onion
Brown sugar
Sesame oil
Chinese cooking wine
Light soy sauce
Rice vinegar
Salt & white pepper
Some water

Put all the ingredients in the crock pot, turn on to low and cook for about 3 hours.
For the sauce, put some of the stock in a saucepan over medium heat, meanwhile dilute a teaspoon of cornstarch with a teaspoon of water and stir it in, bring the sauce to the boil and keep stirring until it has thickened.
















The duck turned out really good. I kept it in the oven on a low heat while I was cooking the accompaniment, stir fried Bok Choy in garlic and sesame oil.

I served it with boiled rice and vegetables because my husband can't eat the Chinese pancake that usually accompanies Peking Duck dish.

Happy Chinese New Year 2008

No comments: